Day 6, May 22

Data at 9 AM (I was marginally asleep at 7)…Engine hours: 3931.7

Fuel consumed yesterday: 125 gal., total fuel consumed: 582 gal.

Miles traveled yesterday: 179 nm, total miles traveled: 976 nm, approx. 54 miles to go (St. George’s, Bermuda):

Weather:  NE winds 15 kts., cloudy, cooler, rain showers

Seas: closely spaced chop to 4 ft from same direction (holding on advisory re-posted)

Water temperature: 73.8, falling to 72.8 along the Bermuda south coast

Approach to Bermuda

The change in weather caught everyone by surprise.  Squally conditions had been forecast, but then retracted.  Our continuing joy with the really nice weather must have lulled us all into complacency.  It’s not really awful this AM, but a definite downgrade.  Our fish joy has made up for all other abatement, though.  It’s ‘just’ another dorado of 38″ but it’s a dream-fish in our hearts.

From 2 miles offshore, Bermuda doesn’t have a tropical paradise look to it at all.  Kinda looks like Naniamo, without the mountainous backdrop, except all the roofs are white…and not a dirty white, they’re WHITE! and strangely uniform.  Close in, the landscape looks closer to expectation.  The foliage is lush and kinda tropical.  But the white roofs are really throwing me.  It’s just odd looking.  Turns out that they’re made of local limestone, stepped, angled and proportionally similar…for large buildings and small.  The design is to collect rainwater.  There is no municipal (or otherwise) water system.  Everybody collects rainwater!

We approached the entrance to St. George’s harbor just prior to 1700.  Bermuda Radio, the equivalent of our Coast Guard, advised us to wait the departure of a freighter before coming through the narrow entrance.  So, to make the trip a little longer, we circled, in choppy conditions, until the passage was clear.  Prior to this niggling delay, the arrival routine had been distributed and discussed at length: proceed to the wharf just beyond customs, do the customs drill, then move to the Dock at St. George’s Dinghy Club, where a crew would assist with the Med Mooring-style (bow out, stern to concrete pier) docking.  That all went according to plan, but took way longer than expected.  Bob did a great job handling Moxie in tight quarters and breezy conditions.  It was dark before the last boat was secured.

Tired from dealing with lumpy seas, delays, a completely new approach to mooring and long-term lack of sleep, we were unable to work up the energy to celebrate beyond a gin-and-tonic and chips & guacamole.  The champagne remains in the fridge.  And everyone got a great night’s sleep, all on their own, sweet, soft, steady beds.

2 thoughts on “Day 6, May 22

    1. Interesting Blog, Pedro. I feel like I am with you guys except for the lack of sleep part. Congrats on your first port of call. Would love to hear if Shar dipped her toes in the deep blue sea.🦈


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s